On Sunday, August 2, 1964, a provincial plaque was unveiled to commemorate the Macpherson House on the grounds of the house at 180 Elizabeth Street in Greater Napanee.
The plaque was unveiled by Mr. A.F. Macpherson, a descendant of the original owner.
THE MACPHERSON HOUSE
Built before 1830, this house remains a fine example of a late phase of Georgian architecture. It was constructed by Allan Macpherson who, about 1812, had leased the mills on the opposite side of the Napanee River. His new dwelling was near his other principal business enterprise, a general store on Dundas Street on this side of the stream. Napanee’s first postmaster and an active magistrate, Macpherson was long the community’s leading citizen. When he moved to Kingston about 1849, his house was taken over by his son, Donald, and it remained in family possession until 1896. Among the distinguished guests here were Bishop John Strachan and Sir John A. Macdonald.