On Saturday, January 31, 1976, a provincial plaque was unveiled on this site to commemorate commemorating the Founding of London.
The plaque reads:
THE FOUNDING OF LONDON
In 1793, here on the River Thames, Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe reserved a site for the capital of Upper Canada. York, however, became the seat of government and the townsite of London lay undeveloped until its selection in 1826 as the judicial and administrative centre of the London District. A court-house and gaol (1829) and homes for the government officials were built, stores and hotels were opened and by 1834, the community contained over 1,100 inhabitants. A British garrison stationed at London in 1838 stimulated its growth. Two years later, it was incorporated as a Town. With the development of a prosperous agricultural hinterland and the completion of the Great Western Railway, London became a City in 1855.